Internet of Things (IoT) devices are nearly everywhere, yet a vast number of people are unfamiliar with them. IoT is not a new concept; the phrase was coined in the 1990s, but the continued growth and advancement of technology set the stage for a significant uptick in how and where IoT can function.
Data recorded in 2021 reveals that there were 21.7 billion active connected devices across the globe, and 11.7 billion (or 54 per cent) of these were IoT devices. Understanding IoT devices is necessary as this is a trend that will not diminish any time soon.
What is an IoT Device?
IoT devices are computing hardware components, such as sensors, that make it possible for non-internet mechanisms to connect wirelessly to a network and transmit data. By using technology to embed sensors, everyday objects can easily transfer information while being controlled and monitored remotely. In essence, the machines can communicate with each other and humans when connected. This ability streamlines many processes and brings about seamless efficiency in many operations.
The functions of IoT devices are nearly limitless. They are integral pieces in several industries, such as:
What are Some IoT Device Examples?
Some examples of IoT will be quite familiar as they have been incorporated into our everyday lives for some time. These are known as consumer-connected IoT devices. Smart appliances, speakers and televisions are in this category, as are wearables like smartwatches and glasses. The smart home is outfitted with numerous IoT device examples. Sensors detect when your car is in range and open your garage. Your doors are unlocked, the lights are at your preferred level, and the thermostat is already ensuring your home is at a comfortable temperature.
Consumer-connected IoT may be the most recognisable, but it is far from the only example.
- Medical monitors track patients’ vital signs and other important patient data to alert the staff if there is a problem. Activity trackers will collect health-related data and use it to prevent medical emergencies.
- IoT devices ensure the safety and security of offices, apartment buildings, and schools.
- Financial applications of IoT include profit and loss projections as well as course corrections to expand profits and company growth.
- Military and government IoT can track and neutralise threats as well as monitor troop movements and dispatch assistance.
- Industrial IoT devices (called IIoT) can monitor assembly lines and other processes, such as maintaining the temperature of sensitive materials.
- Lone workers can enjoy increased safety thanks to IoT sensors
- Transportation and logistics managers can easily track fleet movements, account for downtime, assure proper maintenance schedules, and even track driver fatigue. IoT trackers also help prevent the theft of vehicles.
- Retailers can use IoT to track consumer behaviours and provide enhanced experiences to customers based on the data.
Benefits of IoT Devices
With connectivity and information sharing as its primary goal, the IoT has allowed the physical and digital worlds to work together in ways that improve safety, efficiency, and profitability. Additionally, IoT can be credited with many advantages, including:
- Improving decisions at all levels of business because of the data collected by IoT sensors.
- Reducing costs with end-to-end monitoring to eliminate waste
- Providing real-time visibility
- Tracking of inventory
- Enhancing resource management
- Improving customer experience
IoT also provides several day-to-day benefits in a variety of settings. This includes:
- Optimising energy use
- Automating tasks
- Securing various environments
- Providing alerts for potential emergencies
- Enhancing innovations
- Awareness of the environment
The Importance of IoT Device Monitoring
While IoT devices serve a multitude of purposes, the systems should be monitored for several reasons.
- Prevent unplanned outages.
- Ensure all components are operational.
- Take advantage of proactive insights, such as necessary machine maintenance, before a problem arises.
- Become aware of potential performance issues and gather performance metrics.
- Ensure optimal operations and workflow.
What is the Best Way to Manage the Many Components of the IoT?
The positive impact of the IoT, both now and in the future, is apparent. However, monitoring IoT devices requires effort and organisation. Business owners and managers are occupied with keeping the company running smoothly and lack the time needed to oversee IoT devices. Others are unfamiliar with the technology necessary for appropriate monitoring of the devices. The best way to address the situation is by using a single, well-equipped platform capable of integrating, monitoring, and interacting with sensor data. And Simply Sensors has all the tools needed to direct your IoT devices. This allows for:
- Managing IoT Sensors – Devices can be configured, controlled, and maintained on-site or remotely.
- Collecting, Processing, and Storing Your Vital Data – You can access your data through LoRaWAN, Wi-Fi, Ethernet, or 4G connection. Additionally, you can process your findings by using tools for analytics or to gather valuable insights.
- Connecting Seamlessly – You can be sure of a safe, uninterrupted data exchange between various sensors.
- Monitoring Sensors in Real Time – You can view sensor status through the dashboard and set predefined thresholds to get alerts or notifications if necessary.
- Controlling Sensors and Devices Remotely – Adjust, activate, or turn off the settings of your devices even when you are not there.
How Do Simply Sensors Work?
Our sensors are programmed to capture data relevant to your industry, and once collected, the information is securely sent to our servers via advanced wireless connectivity. Your data is always protected through authentication and encryption. We will carefully process the collected material so you can utilise the findings to assist in decision-making or understanding your current situation.
Simply Sensors believes you are best served by receiving a straightforward interpretation of the collected data, and our software and mobile app take advantage of advanced, intuitive design. This allows you to access the data you need easily.
Our goal is to meet your company’s unique needs by providing access to valuable data in real-time. If you would like to learn more about how Simply Sensors can help you make the most of IoT data, feel free to contact us. A vast store of information is available to you, and we want to allow you access to it.